Manawatu College - Haere I Tou Kaha - Personal Best

2015: Term One

Robertson House reign supreme at Summer Sports

Following the first two rounds of the Inter-House Summer Sports, Robertson and Field were tied for first place with 12 points each; Allen and Morris were also tied for third with 4 points each. This set the stage for an exciting third and final round and all students went our with the desire to win.
However, at the end of the day, when the bell tolled, Robertson House had proved to be too much for Field House, winning all 4 of their matches, and giving them an incredible points total of 20 (out of a possible 24). Field House remained on 12 points, which was still good enough to secure second place, as Allen House and Morris House came away with two wins each, keeping them tied for third place with a total of 8 points each.
Congratulations to all competitors and we look forward to the next House event with great anticipation.
To see how this changes the overall points, check out the Inter-House Competition Leaderboard

Chelsea Parlato performs with precision in the pool

Year 11 student, Chelsea Parlato, was the only Manawatu College student who entered into events at the Manawatu InterSecondary Swimming Sports at the Freyberg Community Pool in Palmerston North last Saturday, March 14th.
Chelsea's performance was incredible and has earned her a spot in the Lower North Island championship, likely to be followed by the New Zealand Champs. Chelsea's results were:
 ~ 100m Breaststroke - 5th place;
 ~ 50m Breaststroke - 4th place;
 ~ 200m Breaststroke - 2nd place; and
 ~ 100m Individual Medley - 1st place!!
Congratulations on your fantastic performance, Chelsea and we wish you the very best for the Lower North Island competition.

Robertson take the lead in the Inter-House competition

With two events completed for 2015, Robertson House have emerged as the overall leader of the Inter-House competition. While they only managed to finish in third place for the Inter-House Swimming Sports, Robertson had a commanding lead of nearly seven points after the Inter-House Athletics competition, giving them enough of a buffer to remain on top.
Morris House are in second place overall after finishing in second place for both the Swimming and Athletics competitions.
Allen House finished in fourth place for the Atheltics competition but their first place finish in the Swimming Sports gave them enough points to leap-frog Field House; which obviously means that Allen House and Field House are currently third and fourth on the competition leaderboard.
To see the points, check out the Inter-House Competition Leaderboard

Inter-House Swimming Sports

Wednesday February 25th proved to be a fantastic day for our annual Inter-House Swimming Sports competition. The competitive championship swimmers were in the pool from 8:00am, making an incredible start to an equally incredible day. New students to the College, particularly Jordyn Patterson and Tommaso Caralli, were literally making waves as they cut through the water to record some impressive results.
In the afternoon, the rest of the student body joined in, supporting their House swimmers in the 50m freestyle finals, then making their contribution in the 'fun' events and House relays. The results are still under wraps until tomorrow's Assembly, so watch this space!
As always, our thanks and gratitude to the Sports and PE departments for the immense amount of time and effort invested in both the Athletic and Swimming Sports. Both events were absolutely stellar and we have you guys to thank for that!

Inter-House Athletic Sports

On Wednesday and Friday (February 11th and 13th) we had our annual Inter-House Athletic Sports competition. Overall, the event was incredibly successful, with massive numbers of students from each House participating. The results are still in the process of being tallied but we are proud to report that at least three event records have been broken:
  ~ Carla Whittaker - Intermediate Girls' Javelin;
 ~ Niwa Wilson - Intermediate Boys' 100m;
 ~ Shay Syme - Junior Boys' High Jump.
More news and the final results will be published when they are made available.

2014 and earlier

Theatre Spotlight shines on Young Performers

In December of 2013, Michiel Dykstra, Leanthra Moore, Devon Sanson, Josh McKean, Olivia Davenport and Jasmine Burr featured in the Foxton Little Theatre production of "The Christmas Angel”.

The show was well received and was nominated in the categories listed below for the Globe Theatre Awards in Palmerston North:

~ Best Show for Children,

~ Best Ensemble Performance, and

~ Michiel Dykstra was nominated for Best Young Performer.

The Globe Theatre Awards are a district event where adjudicators go to amateur theatres in the area, watch the performances and judge them against set criteria. At the end of the season, the best in each section is then nominated for awards and prizes are given out to the winners in each category.

Michiel, in his role of Peter, a young boy who was devastated by the death of his grandfather and became unmanageable to his family, won the category for best young performer.

This is an incredible accomplishment considering the breadth and depth of talent that exists in the district. The Foxton Little Theatre are proud to see Michiel being recognised for his performance and Mr Carl Terry of the theatre presented Michiel with his award at the Manawatu College assembly on July 29th.

Michiel Dykstra - Young Performer Award

International Exchange

After emotional farewells at the end of last term, another group of exchange students have arrived in the College, ready to embark on their international adventure. As they find their feet and settle into things here at the College it is timely to remind our community of the upcoming Narita visit. The visiting party arrives in a couple of weeks and there is still a need for host families over the first weekend in August. If you think you may be able to help, please contact the College Office on 363-6550.

Senior Assessments

Senior Assessment week begins at the end of this week, Thursday June 12th to be precise. The assessments continue right through until Tuesday June 17th. During this time, senior students will be on study leave and junior students will continue with their normal timetable.
All assessments listed in the timetable are compulsory. In addition, Year 11 and 12 students must be in full school uniform when attending their assessment. If you have any questions regarding the timetable or assessment requirements, please contact the College Office.

Senior Assessment Timetable ~ June 12th to June 17th:

MORNING
ASSESSMENTS

Thursday June 12th Friday June 13th
Monday June 16th Tuesday June 17th
L1 Science - Jim (Mrs Allan)
9:40am - 11:40am
Hall
L1 Ad English (Mr Allan)
9:10am - 10:10am
Hall
L1 Science Practical (Mrs Richards)
9:10am - 12:10pm
A1 Science Lab
L1 Digital Technology
9:10am - 11:10am
B3 Computer Suite

L1 Food & Catering
9:40am - 11:40am
D1 Kitchen
L2 Atomic Science
9:10am - 10:40am
Hall
L1 Maths (Mrs Allan)
9:10am - 11:10am
B6 Classroom
L1 Maori
9:10am - 12:10pm
E2 Classroom

L2 Ad English (Mrs Belk)
9:40am - 11:40am
Hall
L3 English (Mrs Belk)
9:10am - 12:10pm
Hall
L2 Food & Catering
9:10am - 11:10am
D1 Kitchen
L1 Business Studies
9:10am - 11:10am
Hall

L1/2 Dance
9:40am - 12:40pm
B10 Performance Suite

L2 Classics
9:10am - 11:10am
B8 Computer Suite
L1 Visual Art
9:10am - 11:10am
C2 Art Room

L2 Building
9:40am - 11:40am
D5 Workshop

L3 Physics
9:10am - 12:10pm
A1 Science Lab
L2 Geography
9:10am - 12:10pm
B7 Classroom

L3 Chemistry
9:40am - 12:40pm
A2 Science Lab

L3 Drama
9:10am - 11:10am
B10 Performance Suite
L3 Geography
9:10am - 10:40am
Hall

L3 Biology
9:10am - 11:10am
Hall

AFTERNOON
ASSESSMENTS

L1 Numeracy
1:30pm - 3:10pm
F1 Classroom
L1 Design Technology
1:15pm - 3:15pm
D3 Workshop
L1/2 Drama
1:15pm - 3:15pm
B10 Performance Suite
L1 Science - Jim (Mrs Allan)
1:40pm - 2:40pm
Hall

L3 Business Studies
1:10pm - 3:15pm
B8 Computer Suite
L2 Maori
1:15pm - 3:15pm
E2 Classroom
L2/3 Visual Art
1:15pm - 3:15pm
C2 Art Room
L2 Business Studies
1:10pm - 3:15pm
B8 Computer Suite

L3 Classics
1:40pm - 2:40pm
Hall

L3 Maori
1:10pm - 3:15pm
E2 Classroom

L3 Media
1:10pm - 3:15pm
Hall

EVENING
ASSESSMENTS

L1/2 Engineering (Mr Evans)
6:30pm - 9:00pm
D6 Workshop

Student Photographs

After having their photos taken towards the end of last term, student photographs are now able to be viewed and purchased. Photolife has an online system to make this process quick and easy, providing each student their individual "shoot key". The shoot key contains instructions and an individualised code which enable you to view and order the photos from the luxury of your own home computer. In addition, and for a very limited time, Photolife will deliver the photos direct to your door at no extra charge.

If you would prefer to order a photograph pack in the traditional manner, please collect an order form from the College Office.

Opunake Sports Exchange

The annual sports exchange between Manawatu College and Opunake High School is still going strong and took place this year over May 28th and 29th.

Opunake High School hosted this year and were the overall victors, winning all but one of the matches. The Manawatu College Volleyball team spoiled Opunake's chances of obtaining a clean sweep, winning their game two sets to one.

Other results and photos will be added once they have been provided.

The travelling team wishes to offer their thanks to their hosts and we look forward to Opunake visiting in 2015.

InterHouse Cross Country - May 7th

In total, 234 students took to the track and ran, walked and, in some parts, crawled or rolled their way around the Cross Country course. The weather threatened to be very unkind but held out for most of the afternoon and every student completed the challenging course.

The top three finishers in each category performed tremendously well and are listed below. Of particular note is the senior girls’ winner, Sarianna Sievi-Korte, who finished only 5 seconds off the senior girls’ course record! Jason Wallbank also ran well, returning before both the junior boys and junior girls, despite the fact that the junior girls’ race started 5 minutes before the boys.

Congratulations to all of the students who participated and supported their House in this competition. Further congratulations to those who placed competitively and we look forward to seeing more positive results after the InterSecondary event.

The top three finishers for each category are:

Senior Boys:                                                                            Senior Girls:

1st: Richard Harper                                                                1st: Sarianna Sievi-Korte

2nd: Lukas Baur                                                                       2nd: Brooke Moore

3rd: Khale Chambers                                                            3rd: Britta Volker

Intermediate Boys:                                                              Intermediate Girls:

1st: Tawhana Ngatai                                                             1st: Shanae McKay

2nd: Beau McLeod                                                                 2nd: Samantha Hansen

3rd: Connor Davenport                                                       3rd: Emma Green

Junior Boys:                                                                            Junior Girls:

1st: Jason Wallbank                                                               1st: Chelsea Parlato

2nd: Jay Jay Hailwood                                                           2nd: Ruby Rowland Penman

3rd: Jackson Scully                                                                 3rd: Maddi Parlato

The House Points awarded are:

1st: Robertson – 16.4 pts.

2nd: Allen – 11.6 pts.

3rd: Morris – 11.4 pts.

4th: Field – 10.6 pts.